Archives of Community

Hear a Good Story

These places might have one for you. Southeast Missouri Genealogy Research Rooms and Societies: Do some research on the stories of your ancestors or of the Southeast Missouri region at the River Heritage Museum research room in Cape Girardeau, the Kirby Genealogy Room at the Cape Girardeau Public Library or the Perry County Genealogical Research […]

Tell A Story

Looking for a place to tell your story? Here are a few venues to consider: -Cape Girardeau Public Library Open Mic Night: Bring your songs, poetry and/or comedy to a welcoming and receptive audience at the Cape Girardeau Public Library from 6 to 9 p.m. the first Friday of each month. Stay to listen, too. […]

Connect Nationally

Get involved with these projects across the U.S. working to tell, record and listen to stories from people of all perspectives and experiences. Story Corps, storycorps.org: StoryCorps documents the stories of people from across the nation, through recording meaningful conversations with people from all backgrounds. These recordings are archived at the Library of Congress. It […]

From Grandma to Granddaughter to Great-Great-Granddaughter

Let’s hear it for matrilineality. “It’s just an old teacup,” says Glenda Heiden of Jackson, Missouri, as she describes the delicate cup and saucer that has been passed down to her from her granny. “It has cracks in it. It’s not much to see.” And she’s right. To someone outside her family, this teacup would […]

The Lines We Draw

How do the simultaneously artificial and real lines of race and politics affect us, and how are women in our community stepping over them to unite? By Mia Pohlman The first time I heard the term “white studies,” I was in my first year of graduate school. Eighteen years of kindergarten through college education, and […]

Take a Walk

With Show Me Center marketing director Abbie Lady At flourish, we create conversations that bring people together. Conversations that teach us things about other women. Conversations that give us insight into what drives them to get up and do what they do. In this issue of flourish, we chat with woman-on-the-move Abbie Lady, the current […]

The Written and Unwritten Rules of Etiquette

You classy, confident woman, you. “Nothing is less important than which fork you use. Etiquette is the science of living. It embraces everything. It is ethics. It is honor.” — Emily Post The grand old dame of etiquette Emily Post wrote the words above long before local etiquette expert Sarah Bohl was learning about the […]

She Says

Local women answer the question: Did you change your last name, keep it or hyphenate when you got married? Marisa Cook: I changed my name. My husband is one of the last with his family’s name, and I have a lot of family members with my family name. I wanted to pass it down to […]

Needle and Thread

The art of quilting It’s been said that every person has a story to tell, and it turns out that the same may be true for every quilt. Full of color, comfort and love, handmade quilts — and the women who make them — seem to have found a way to preserve a part of […]

Keziah Kariuki

She’s strong and vibrant. We want to be her friend. Grass greens, teals, reds. Royal blues, purples, yellows. The walls of one room in Michelle Outman’s Cape Girardeau home look like Kenya, lined with colorful jewelry in all shades, made from recycled glass and paper beads, bones and ostrich egg shells. The jewelry, scarves and […]