Archives of Community

From There to Here: Dr. Shannon M. Yates, Ed.D

Moving from one place or culture to another can be a difficult transition: we are away from the family and friends who have always known us, everyday tasks can become our biggest challenges and it can be hard to find anything that feels comfortable or familiar. In this process, though, growth and vibrant life can […]

From There to Here: Shvetha Choudhry Gohn

Moving from one place or culture to another can be a difficult transition: we are away from the family and friends who have always known us, everyday tasks can become our biggest challenges and it can be hard to find anything that feels comfortable or familiar. In this process, though, growth and vibrant life can […]

Homage to the Women

For those who came before us Sometimes it can be easy to forget that the privileges we experience today are the fruit of the hard-earned battles of the women who lived before us, that the battles we are able to participate in now are because of the groundwork they laid. It can be easy to […]

Meet Along the Way: Danetta Mason

Women do incredible things. This running “Meet Along the Way” feature shares the stories of women who are a part of the Southeast Missouri community by way of living here, being from here or passing through. We hope these stories inspire you to connect with others and that they encourage you to be who you […]

Five Generations of Liver Knaeflies

Eat with the women you love. By Kristin Thomas Photos by Ben Matthews Liver knaeflies — also known as liver dumplings — have connected the family of Betty Layton of Ste. Genevieve, Missouri, for at least five generations. Layton’s mother, Elizabeth Schweiss, is the first person she remembers making liver knaeflies. Members of Layton’s family […]

Walk Strong

Let’s support our sisters. By Amanda Flinn Photos by Pamela Schniepp Finding your passion isn’t an easy task; it can be elusive and overwhelming. However, you can build it, and it starts with taking the things you love and using them for a purpose greater than your own. For Deb Maevers of Cape Girardeau, VintageNOW […]

And the Two Become One: The Decorations

As you plan your wedding day, we know you’ll find ways to make it as deeply special as the story of love you’re writing together with your future spouse. For some inspiration, here we share with you unique features from Southeast Missouri couple Ashley and Sam Howard’s wedding. Congratulations — we are joyful with you […]

Giving Her Away

It’s a happy and hard thing. By Loren Miller For most, when we hear the word “soulmate,” we envision two people in love, inseparably strolling hand-in-hand for eternity. For me, that word means something different. I believe we get to have more than one soulmate in life, and it isn’t limited to romantic love. I […]

Repurposing a Ring

Because moms are generous and strong. By Brooke Clubbs One August morning, I awoke to a bug crawling on my face. That was how we discovered bed bugs in our master bedroom. We arranged for our thermal remediation: generator power heaters that get the temperature of your house to 120 degrees and fans that blow […]

For The Love of Food: Spanish Street Farmacy

Photo by Tyler Graef Marriage is tough. Running a restaurant is tough. Here, local restaurateurs Lance and Sharla Green share their life stories, wisdom on marriage and what they’ve learned from owning a restaurant with their spouse. Here’s to putting in the hard work to make both a marriage and a restaurant places that nourish […]