Archives of Community

Making Pakodi with Shvetha Gohn

It’s a Friday afternoon, and I’m at Shvetha and Adam Gohn’s home in Cape Girardeau. As their two dogs Darwin and Bretta welcome me, and Bretta curls into the couch beside me, Shvetha tells me about her love of food and her travels to places as close as St. Louis and Chicago where she’s traveled […]

Making Stained Glass: Anna Zembsch creates

We show up at Anna Zembsh’s home studio in Cape Girardeau, and she shows us around, introduces us to her cats Bubbles and Lil’ Craig; points out the sternum from an armadillo she found, brought home and boiled (apparently, it made the house smell awful, but it makes a cool shelf decoration now); and explains […]

The Ritual of the Body: Marian Johnston, doula

Witnessing to Labor Ritual unites soul with body. Through our attention to what is before us in ritual, we bring ourselves to the present moment, which we inhabit because we have a body to be physically present in. Our body is vessel, container, holding space, a tabernacle to reverence through which we experience the world. […]

Part of the Process

The way we farm matters. By Emily Scifers  As dawn starts to creep over the horizon, I pull my aching body out of bed. Yesterday’s planting took a toll. I tell myself not to skip my morning walk around the field. It loosens me up before I really get to work. Spring training on the […]

The Next Voices: Here. Literary Magazine

By Mia Timlin As the screaming voices of screens, social media and technology get louder and louder, it’s becoming more important teenagers find those carved-away spaces where imaginative development takes place. When it comes to teenagers, more often than not, productivity just for the purpose of creating is widely disregarded. The message that it’s not […]

The Next Voices: Central Academy Press

By Trinitee “TeeTee” Johnson “You get to write about things that matter to you.”  Ms. DeWitt said this phrase on day one in journalism when I first joined the Central Academy Press staff. My first thought was, “Oh, wow,” and I was not sure where to even start. Society does not always want young people […]

meet along the way: Joannie Smith

Women do incredible things. Here, we feature the stories of women who are a part of the Southeast Missouri community by way of living here, being from here or passing through. We hope these stories inspire you to connect with others and that they encourage you to be who you are in the world. We […]

meet along the way: Dodie Eisenhauer

Women do incredible things. Here, we feature the stories of women who are a part of the Southeast Missouri community by way of living here, being from here or passing through. We hope these stories inspire you to connect with others and that they encourage you to be who you are in the world. We […]